Tuesday, April 17, 2007

In anticipation of 『哀愁』『アンティーク』day!

In anticipation of 『哀愁』『アンティーク』day, I've attempted a translation of 「あやとり」 into English :)

Cat’s Cradle (1)
 
Lyrics/Music: Miya

The Cat’s Cradle strings that we played with
lay torn in the room where
I am weeping… I am weeping
 
On the pillar at the corner of this room
are our names that we carved
Of the two persons under the umbrella (2)
there is only myself looking on and weeping
The calendar wearing too thin
I flip yet another page…

A piece of scrap paper (3) that told all of your deceit
I kept hitting my head against the wall as if I was deranged
The words lining the scrap paper puzzled my heart
Violated by these words
I am unable to call out to tomorrow, merely awaiting the arrival of the morning alone

I want to return to those times...
But I can’t...
If only I can…

Those times when we were together…

Notes:
(1) Ayatori is also Cat's Cradle, a children's game using string looped around both hands. See picture.

(2) Lovers' names are typically carved under an umbrella symbol in Japan.

(3) Am inclined to read it as the same 'paper' of the calendar.

Comments:
The lyrics are simple but sweet (or should I say, bittersweet), with the strings of a Cat's Cradle being alikened to the strings that tie two people together. What I like most about this piece of work, is the haunting melody accompanying the lyrics, you can truly feel the desperation and emptiness oozing out from each note. This song is highly recommended for listening in the late of the night, as late as possible :P

Have not heard this song live before, so it's definitely one song I'm looking forward to hearing on 23 April... i know i'll weep for sure (o´∀`o)☆

Labels: ,

Comments:
i love this song :)
 
me too! :) :)
 
i dont know if you have seen any movies directed by shunji iwai...but this song remind me of one of his movies, the one called "Undo"
 
ey the new pv is aviable to download...do you appear on it?
 
i knew it, i never have the luck!! XD XD XD nope, i couldn't find myself in the PV! though at the end when the camera was panning the audience, i could spot the muccrew cameraman that was next to me, but.. how come i couldn't spot myself??! *Mystery*

now you've got me curious about "Undo"! looks like i gotta pick up that movie soon~ :) i've enjoyed the shunji iwai movies that i've watched so far (Love Letter, All About Lily Chou Chou, Hana & Alice), so i do hope to see more of his works :)
 
Have fun at those concerts! I wish I could come. Btw, I wish I could go to the Homura Uta and Kuchiki no To special days. I guess it'll be wonderful! XD

Btw, thanks for the translation. I really like the song as well.
 
by the way, scenic do you play any music instrument? because i have got some mucc and the back horn tablatures and maybe you are interested...

and other thing, do you know if exists a studio version of No!?
 
josu,
i play the piano & violin... which songs are the tablatures for?

& YES!!! they did play NO!? at the live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^O^
the studio version is, i guess, the demotape version, but the quality of the mp3 that i have is really really bad... ;_;
 
i have tabs for the full 6 album, for the back horn i have 24 tabs from various albums and i also have some tabs of acidman, buck tick...

they played no!? ??? how lucky you are!!! it must have been an amazing concert
 
Post a Comment