Saturday, December 09, 2006

I shall blog relentlessly this weekend

Yup! It's that time of year again! The time of the year when i NEED to go on a relentless blogging mode about Mucc's new album, so to all non-mucker readers of this blog, you either:
a) go pick up the album and check it out yourself too! or
b) skip this post entirely.
Of course i'd prefer you do a). Good things must share mah!

Anyway, on to the album. [Warning: long soliloquy ahead.]

Need I say, the first inkling I got of the album was during the 2 Oct and 3 Oct 69days lives @ Quattro, when mucc first played a "new song", later to be famously-known as "The Quattro New Song". At first, we didn't know whether it would come from the new single or album (Horizont had not been released yet). But when we saw the jacket design of Horizont, we though, "nah, can't be the single!" Unless it's a B-track of the single. And yet, the song was so experimental, so alternative, that it just tingled "album material" to us. So, we waited.

Of course, when Horizont came out, it became clear that the song was from the new album. Then the question was, which title was it? Mucc had also played another song from the new album during their 69days lives, but to be frank, I can't quite remember which track it is now. I only remember "The Quattro New Song". Why? Simply because it blew me away. Yukke used a handsome new bass for the number, and we heard frighteningly new sounds coming out from Miya's guitars. At first, Yukke's bass went on loop for some time, haunting the live-house. Yet later, he had a beautiful solo part too. As mentioned earlier, there was a strong experimental feel to it, so to see the band play something like this live was a first time for all of us.

From the description, some muckers might already know I'm referring to 「25時の憂鬱」. Yup, it was eventually revealed that "The Quattro New Song" was 「25時の憂鬱」, i think Tatsu said its title in the recent Zy. Stylish Wave event or somethin'... Anyway, my point is, it made me really excited about where the band was gonna go in this new album. What are the rest of the songs like? Equally surprising? Worth it for me to consider watching their Winter lives?

Oh yes, I'd also like to say, the darn loop and tune for 「25時の憂鬱」 re-emerged in my head on the first day back to work on 5 Oct. Scary, cos I had only heard the song like, what, 2 times??! I was so amazed at that, I sms-ed yuj (who's in Hong Kong) about it. Later, yuj sms-ed me back saying, the same thing happened to her!

[To be continued...]

Labels: , ,

Comments: Post a Comment