Sunday, September 24, 2006

Hitting 31 makes you think about things. Lotsa things.

(There. I've finally mentioned my age on this blog.)

Well first of all, I can no longer deny the fact that I'm firmly entrenched into the (double-fingers quoting in the air) 30's. No more "late-20s" but rather "early-30s" from now on!

It's coming to a cool 10 years (a decade!) since I first graduated from U. Just the thought of that is enough to stumpify me.

Simply cos it doesn't quite feel like i've mentally progressed very much since then, haha.

And yet, as I was conversing about this topic with a friend (one who has transversed from the "ex-colleague" to the "friends" zone) who was fetching me back from a night out, it occurred to me that, no, things ARE actually rather different now. Ever since graduating from school at least.

We agreed that we are now at a point in life where we are no longer pushing the angsty "why am i doing what i'm doing" mode, but rather, we are clearer now, at the age of 31 and 32 respectively, about what we want, what makes us tick, what we need to do.

Now, I am able to prioritize my needs. I am financially capable of fulfilling most of them. I know where I'm heading professionally. I react much better to work situations. I'm taking care of my health (finally.. that health check report shook me up.) and actually enjoying the process. I hang out with people I want to, and not because I feel obliged to. My relationship with my family have stablized.

It may sound cliche, but it's true. After that big three-oh, you do get wiser. Perhaps it has to do with shrugging away all that apprehensiveness and uncertainty so prevalent in the 20's. And relieving yourself of the need to put on whatever facade it is to impress.

I'm finally able to say, I'm proud to be in my 30's.
Comments:
Welcome to the group of "old." You still look like a kid to me! And I think you're much more in touch with reality than I was at 31, newly divorced and running wild. It took me quite a few more years to reach the level of maturity you've already attained.
 
Welcome lol!!!!
I am enjoying every single minute of the 30s club
Except for one thing, you body also starts to breakdown....
the monthly cramps get worst...
uuuurgh.

I am gonna spend the whole late oct trip feeling like a waterfall down there.

bh
 
hey, it's getting to know people like you gals that motivate me. constantly.

a *toast* to ageing gracefully!
& freedom!
^___^
 
Post a Comment