Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Just watched the HK-based Phoenix TV news where there was a report about Brokeback Mountain winning 4 prizes at the British Academy Film Awards. Ang Lee in the interview said that when he first came across the short story by E Annie Proulx, even though he wasn't that familiar with the theme/setting, he found himself deeply moved by the story.

If he had sought to bring about that same effect to his viewers, then I say, he's done just that to me.

And really, that, to me, is the essence of a true masterpiece. When you may not think you can truly relate to it, but still, it touches you deeply.

At work, I was recommending the movie to a fellow colleague, when she muttered some broad statement about how she did not think much of Hollywood movies, as they tend to throw things into your face, rather than let you decipher them out. It was only then that I realized I had naively spoken to the wrong person, duh. Cos I forgot that she's someone who'd only watch foreign language movies, best if they're French. I think it's quite pretentious to make such sweeping statements about Hollywood movies! In Singlish, I'd call that attitude simply atas! Just like people who say they listen only to indie music and not pop music cos oh nononoooo...pop music's for the.. masses. Wake up already. That's nothing more than just trying to have your own style for the sake of having one.
Comments: Post a Comment