Monday, January 02, 2006

Watched [血と骨] with Qiu today...goodness, domestic violence was completely personified by the lead character, Kim Shunpei (played by Beat Takeshi). He had such total disregard for women and children..in fact, anyone else besides himself. What was even more amazing was how everyone around him tolerated his behaviour...

On a much lighter note, started watching the first episode of [電車男] tonight. It's absolutely hilarious! Go Tsuyoshi! ;D

Afterthought~ (3 Jan 06, 11.30pm)
Besides the epic-ish theme of the movie, the other thing that struck me was how age fails to soften some people. There is, I suppose, a bit of Shunpei in every society.. like the old man who refuses to accept your seat in the crowded MRT even though he's struggling to keep balance in the train.. I tend to think that for such people, the core is hard so no matter how hard you bore into it, it's still difficult to penetrate. But people who do mellow with age, now these people have soft cores, but due to the environment, other people, life experiences...they build a hard layer around that core. With age, though, that layer peels off and that tender inner self is revealed once again.

Yes I do subscribe to the inner core-outer core concept. I'm obviously someone with a soft inner core...doesn't take much to reach through the layers and touch that core. Now whether that's good as someone who needs to manage people, I really don't know.. Today my officer handed in her resignation.. my first experience of someone whom I recommended the organization to hire quitting...and within half a year too. Though it's not a shock to me (as we're quite close and she's been discussing this issue with me for a month now), and it's clearly because she's pursuing a dream she's wondered about all her life, still, I can't help but wonder why I wasn't able to see that there wasn't a job fit right in the beginning. Managing people is such a different ball game compared to going more on the 'professional' route. But in the rat race, it's so tough to keep away from doing more management work as you continue to work & rise up the ranks.
Comments: Post a Comment